• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hippa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlooms

What is the name of your state? Pa
My son was to the Dentist office today. Now I was not aloud in the exam room with him even though he is only 12 but I understood. The Dentist came out an began to give me my son dental information. SHe fisrt asked if I was there with Joel then in a waiting room full of people proceeded to tell me what is was wrong with his mouth. When I asked her not to dicuss it out in teh open she said that I did not like her way of doing business that I could take my son an go else where. I said it is not that I just don't want to discuss this out here. She threw my self an son out of the office before she had completed the work that she said she was going to do. Is that a Hippa violation ot not.

HellOnEarth

What is the name of your state? Pa
My son was to the Dentist office today. Now I was not aloud in the exam room with him even though he is only 12 but I understood. The Dentist came out an began to give me my son dental information. SHe fisrt asked if I was there with Joel then in a waiting room full of people proceeded to tell me what is was wrong with his mouth. When I asked her not to dicuss it out in teh open she said that I did not like her way of doing business that I could take my son an go else where. I said it is not that I just don't want to discuss this out here. She threw my self an son out of the office before she had completed the work that she said she was going to do. Is that a Hippa violation ot not.

Did you pay for service PRIOR to work being done? If you paid ANYTHING (co-pay, deductible etc), then she has to give you a refund. If she doesn't, complain to your insurance company.

As for HIPAA, I know that they pertain to your medical records. As in, if it's being shared with private third parties (say, pharmaceutical companies) for the purpose of compiling marketing lists etc. I know that HIPAA also gives you the right to periodically review your files. What this dentist did may have seen intrusive to you but I'm not sure it was a serious violation of your privacy. Nobody sitting in the waiting room learned your son's name, age, dob, ssn etc, as a result of her actions, did they?

Let it go and find someone else with a more acceptable bedside manner.

But go after her office (with your insurance company's help if needed) to get your $$$ back.

lealea1005

HIPAA (Healthcare Information Portability And Accountability)

If your son was identified and his private health information was discussed so that others could hear and clearly identify him, it was a violation.

Find another dentist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">