• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Patty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

montauk4us

What is the name of your state? New York.
I got a credit report and found that a judgement had been placed in the nassau county court in my name in March 2008. I called Centurion Capital who gave me Wolfson and Abrahamson Law Firm. When I called them, they still have it under my maiden name, and they said the debt is from 1994, but they did'nt know exactly for what. They said it's scheduled to hold on my bank account. Can they legally do anything to me at this point? I don't even recognize the debt. Should I have it investigated by the credit bureau first? Are they able to still dock wages or freeze bank accounts? How can the judgement date be March 2008 if the debt is from 1994.

JETX

Can they legally do anything to me at this point?
If you mean additional legal processes, since they already have a judgment, it is unlikely that they will file another suit.
If you mean can they do anything else, yes. They can use the allowed legal processes to pursue enforcement.

I don't even recognize the debt.
Go to the court and get a copy of the casefile.

Should I have it investigated by the credit bureau first?
Since this is a judgment, it is not like an unsupported debt claim. It is either valid or not. If it is valid, there really isn't anything for the CRA to 'investigate'.

Are they able to still dock wages or freeze bank accounts?
Yes.

How can the judgement date be March 2008 if the debt is from 1994.
Very easily.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">