• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When is Divorce Final?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Texas

My wife left in June 2007 and I file for divorce in August. My lawyer finally (March 2008) has drawn up all the papers and it states who gets what and who is accountable for which debts. Now she says she is not going to sign. Wants to change things. If she does not sign how long do I legally have to be married to her? Texas has a common law marriage is there something similiar in which you are separated for a certain length of time then you are no longer considered married? How much longer can she drag this crap out when for months she kept asking me when the lawyer would be finished with the papers so she could sign? Seems like everybody (including the 3 children) wants this thing to be over except for her.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state? Texas

My wife left in June 2007 and I file for divorce in August. My lawyer finally (March 2008) has drawn up all the papers and it states who gets what and who is accountable for which debts. Now she says she is not going to sign. Wants to change things. If she does not sign how long do I legally have to be married to her? Texas has a common law marriage is there something similiar in which you are separated for a certain length of time then you are no longer considered married? How much longer can she drag this crap out when for months she kept asking me when the lawyer would be finished with the papers so she could sign? Seems like everybody (including the 3 children) wants this thing to be over except for her.
If she refuses to sign, you'll need to have your attorney request a hearing. She can drag it out quite a while, but not forever.

Got to Do what I got to do

If she refuses to sign, you'll need to have your attorney request a hearing. She can drag it out quite a while, but not forever.
If that is all I can do then that is what I will do. Surely I want have to tell him this; surely he knows this already. Thanks

We have had a hearing

did she ever answer your original complaint for divorce?
We had a hearing in November where my lawyer ambushed her (she did not have an attorney) and the judge gave me 2 of the 3 children. We talked things out and came up with an agreement in e-mail form. She signed it and I signed it and I forwarded it to my attorney. I had a meeting with him in December and he called her on the phone and they worked out the agreement and how the papers would be drawn up. Lawyer sent a rough draft to each of us and we each recommended revisons. He made the revisions and sent us each another copy which we both approved of. I went to his office and signed it and he was to have a courier send it to her to sign. She called with her panties all in a bunch saying that she was not going to sign because things had changed. I said nothing in those papers have changed. I am guessing she finally read page 9 and that is what pissed her off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">