• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appling for medical assistance for deceased mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thcmac

My mom died at a nursing home prior to filing for medical assitance.
My mother lived in Maryland and I live in West Virgina.
The nursing home now wants me to file for medical assistance as there is no money left in her estate after paying the funeral expenses. In the paper work that I signed as her power of attonery upon admitting her to the nursing home is a paragraph/section that reads as her agent I will apply for medical assistance when funds are gone. The agreement is terminated upon her death with them but now the nursing home wants their money for her debt. She was there less then 30 days (28 days) in the nursing section, prior to December she was in skilled care and her secondary insurance and medicare paid the expenses.

I have never heard of applying for someone dead. This is a crazy world.
1. I had to send back her german pension as it is sent one month in advance.
2. Her SS payment is intended for the month past and our government want let you keep the payment is they die before the end of the month. The payment isn't prorated.
3. And now the nursing home wants me to file for assistance for a dead person.
As personal representative of her estate am I liable for the agreement at the nursing home? I only signed her papers as power of attorney not that I was responsible for her bill.
Monica

A

advisor10

FEBRUARY 6, 2001

DEAR THCMAC/MONICA:

Please be extra careful not to apply for someone's medical assistance (if they are dead) until you get more information from the nursing home as to the name, address and phone number of the agency you will be applying with. Contact that agency to find out if you would be permitted to do this. If you mistakenly sign something fraudulently, there may be heavy penalties if it can be proven in court that a state or federal crime was committed.

Is it possible that there was a miscommunication or did they perhaps mean that you should have applied with the Social Security Administration to get her $255 death benefit to help pay for her funeral expenses?

Your "POWER OF ATTORNEY" powers expired at the time of her death. You don't say whether or not she had a will, but you need official papers from the court to be named as her Personal Representative. If she had no other assets (life insurance or savings account) to help pay for these expenses, then it looks like the nursing home won't be getting paid, unfortunately for them.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

T

thcmac

Medical Assistance..

Yes I am her personal represenative as she did have a will. There are no further funds in her estate after paying her funeral expenses. The nursing home wants me to apply for medical assistance to pay the $840.00 bill she owed. My mother thank God was there less than 30 days and a part of the month is being pick up by medicare and her secondary insurance she had. The nursing home says that I acted as her agent (not that would pay for her bill personally) and signed the agreement stating that if there weren't funds to pay that as her agent I would have to apply for assistance. The agreement does not state if the resident is deceased. Also the agreement is terminated for nursing home upon death. I am not going to apply for this, the nursing home will have to write it off like all the other companies she owed money to. Thanks for helping.
Monica

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">