• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

USED CAR DEALER, ODOMETER ROLLBACK

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spike

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE DEALERSHIP WHERE I BOUGHT MY CAR IS UNDER INVESTIGATION FOR ROLLING BACK THE ODOMETERS ON THEIR CARS. I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT CAN I DO TO FIND OUT IF THE ODOMETER READING ON MY CAR IS CORRECT, AND WHAT RECOURSE DO I HAVE??
THANKS FOR YOU HELP!!
SPIKE

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

A reputable mechanic or two or three? Also, how did you find out they were under investigation? News report? If so, contact the local media and see if they can help you. Go to your local better business bureau and see if they can help you.

Beware of wear and tear
Keep your eyes peeled for inconsistencies. Does the odometer reading match the mileage stated in the oil change sticker on the car's window? Does it jibe with the mileage listed in the car's repair records? Are there marks on the odometer or misaligned numbers? Does the car show more wear on the brake pedal or rugs than is consistent with the alleged mileage?

A car with 20,000 miles should have its original tires. If it doesn't, find out why. Trust your instincts.

"If you've got an inkling that something's not right with a car you're looking at, it's time to walk away," Morse says.

Sites such as CarFax let you check a car's history by its vehicle identification number. You may be able to find out if a car has had one owner as the seller claims, if the odometer has been rolled back or if a car has been junked or salvaged.

A CarFax search, while useful, might not provide a complete history for every auto. The reason? CarFax gets much of its data from state motor vehicle departments, and some of these departments are slow to report auto title information.

"They don't always get the data in time," Shahan says. "They depend on getting data from states. Some states are excruciatingly slow in recording the information."

Ask a mechanic you trust
The best advice for used car shoppers is to have the auto inspected by an independent mechanic before buying.

"Take the car to a good, reliable mechanic to see if the odometer reading is consistent with the wear and tear of the car," Morse says.

It can save you a lot of cash and a lot of headaches. Most consumers learn about odometer fraud when a supposedly low-mileage car needs all kinds of repairs or when they go to trade in the car and are offered a much lower price.

"Cars are so sophisticated. There's a lot that you can't tell by kicking the tires," Shahan says. "It really takes a pro."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">