• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights of a self supporting 17 yr old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? AZ

My question is this, I have a 17 year old neice who has been living with my parents (her grandparents) for several months every since her mother (my sister) kicked her out after a fight they had. My neice is a senior in high school she has a job and will gracuate this year. She is a good kid (considering what she has been put through by my sister) she is not a wild teenager, she isnt out doing drugs or partying and drinking. My sister has always held a very tight thumb on her. Anytime she talks to my neice she is screaming or talking down to her, just to pick a fight. She acts as though she hates her, and is disqusted by the even mention of my neices name.
My mother and other sister have tried talking to them both to get them to agree to counseling and my neice agrees it is needed, but my sister thinks we are "taking sides" and wont agree to go. She acts as though she is jealous of my neice, I know that sounds horrible but anyone that knows her sees it too.
Like I said she is a good kid, and not by ANY MEANS PERFECT, however my sister automatically assumes that whatever my neice says "shes lying" and has literally gone looking for things to find wrong with my neice. Throwing accusations around that are outrageous and unwarented. She has gone so far as to call my neices work and was "harrasing" her manager,screaming at her "She is MY daughter, and you WIll put her on the phone NOW!" Trying to get her fired.
This has been very hard for all of us but especially for my neice. Like I said since she has been staying with my parents (or here with me) every since her mother kicked her out, we have been making sure she gets to school and to work (since my sister wont allow her to get her liscense). My neice has her own bills that she pays for including helping in buying food (not alot but does some). SHe has her OWN cell phone that is in her name and she pays for. She has her OWN checking and savings account where her paychecks are automatically deposited into. She is not by any means financially dependent on her mother (hasnt been for the last year) yet my sister refuses to let my mother have guardianship over her until she turns 18 (which is less than 5 months away). My sister is the one who kicked her out yet still wants to control every aspect of her life.

Since my sister kicked her out and my neice is working and is not financially dependent upon her mother, what rights does my neice have.

Thanks in advanceWhat is the name of your state?

BL

She only has 5 months until age 18 .

She can do as she pleases then .

No guardianship will have to be established .

JETX

Since my sister kicked her out and my neice is working and is not financially dependent upon her mother, what rights does my neice have.
Unless a court has ruled her 'an emancipated juvenile', she has NO rights. In fact, your sister has a continued obligation to support her child until emancipated or an adult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">