• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyintrouble

What is the name of your state? Canada, Ontario

my ex-fiances father gave us 30K to live in australia for the year, the money was in her bank account and she paid for everything. We have since broken up. Can her father sue me for any of the money we spent together. I am currently living in Aus. Thanks!

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state? Canada, Ontario

my ex-fiances father gave us 30K to live in australia for the year, the money was in her bank account and she paid for everything. We have since broken up. Can her father sue me for any of the money we spent together. I am currently living in Aus. Thanks!
Last time I checked, Ontario isn't part of the U.S., so you should ask your question elsewhere. Australia is also not part of the U.S.

However, I'm trying to imagine what grounds he would use to sue you. At least in the U.S., anyone can sue anyone for anything - but they have to prove their case to win. What reason do you have to think he could build any kind of case against you?

Bali Hai

Last time I checked, Ontario isn't part of the U.S., so you should ask your question elsewhere. Australia is also not part of the U.S.

However, I'm trying to imagine what grounds he would use to sue you. At least in the U.S., anyone can sue anyone for anything - but they have to prove their case to win. What reason do you have to think he could build any kind of case against you?
The father could try to pretext the giving of the gift in court as being contingent upon OP marrying his daughter.

mistoffolees

The father could try to pretext the giving of the gift in court as being contingent upon OP marrying his daughter.
Well, the father can try all sorts of things, but I'm having a hard time believing it would go anywhere unless there's something in writing. I guess it's just possible that the father and daughter would testify that there was an agreement, but do you think a judge is going to honor such a verbal agreement?

1. The money was given to the daughter.
2. The daughter paid for everything.

Iit's just hard to believe this could be anything but a gift.

Bali Hai

Well, the father can try all sorts of things, but I'm having a hard time believing it would go anywhere unless there's something in writing. I guess it's just possible that the father and daughter would testify that there was an agreement, but do you think a judge is going to honor such a verbal agreement?

1. The money was given to the daughter.
2. The daughter paid for everything.

Iit's just hard to believe this could be anything but a gift.
We don't know if there was anything in writing or not.

But for sure OP is clearly sh!tting his knickers over something he is not disclosing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">