• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nhtsa >25 yr. exemption on FMVSS requirements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Undy

Hi, New guy here. I don't know if I'm posting in the right forum or not.

I'm writing about a foreign truck ('76 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer Ex-Swiss army transport) which I bought in '02 and legally operated in WI since then.

9/07 WisDOT cancelled our titles and license plates, saying the trucks didn't comply with NHTSA or FMVSS requirements.

Foreign-marketed imported vehicles, which are imported over 25 years old, are supposedly exempted from NHTSA and DOT and EPA regulations, per Title 49 US Code, U.S DOT HS-7, NHTSA list of nonconforming vehicles. That was how my truck was imported and sold in CO by dealer # 3440.

WisDOT has, so far, refused to specify what equipment is lacking, or to make any inspection to allow us back on the roads.

Any thoughts or input?
Thanks, Paul UnderwoodWhat is the name of your state?

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">