• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Email libel from juvenile

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Katy123

Kentucky

I had a group of teen girls send out a four page email that was full of lies that have resulted in my removal from a volunteer program. The adults in charge of the program have agreed that this was absolutely untrue and wrong for these girls to send out this untrue email. However because this program is for the girls and I am just their adult advisor, they have said I can not work with these girls, but have given them no consequences to the email.
What can I do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Kentucky

I had a group of teen girls send out a four page email that was full of lies that have resulted in my removal from a volunteer program. The adults in charge of the program have agreed that this was absolutely untrue and wrong for these girls to send out this untrue email. However because this program is for the girls and I am just their adult advisor, they have said I can not work with these girls, but have given them no consequences to the email.
What can I do?
Volunteer somewhere else?
Realistically, what are your damages?

Katy123

That is easy to say. I have been working with this organization for 12 years. My daughters have gained a lot. I am committed to 8 other teens. While I am not working with these girls any more, they have affected my daughters and the other girls I work with. These girls are bullies and need to be stopped. They have bullied more than the 12 girls that I know of as well as three adults out of thier group. We all raised $5000 and now it is under thier control. We have no claim to it.
Is there a legal way to claim the money or stop the hateful actions? The actions have continued against other girls.
Can I sue these girls or take any legal action?

tranquility

So, you have no damages. (At least the type Zinger was referring to--legal damages.) Without them, you cannot sue. It's time to be the adult and move on. It's not your job to stop girls from being mean. In situations like this it's amazing how fast things spiral out of control. My advice is to let it be. The legal advice is, if you want to sue, you better come up with money damages. Then, be ready to pay many thousands out of your own pocket for an attorney in a case you have no guarantee to win.

Katy123

My fear is that they are doing this to teens who may committ suicide because of the ugly rumors they spread. However, I am an adult and will not die. I hope no teen falls victum and does

tranquility

Do you think that happens a lot? I mean really. One lawsuit was in the news. I think the plaintiff will lose, but you never know. Still, teen girls have been being mean to one another for a long, long time. It seems to me if we have a rash of suicides from this, the problem lies in a place different from the mean bully's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">