• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sale of a car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patb

What is the name of your state? New York

I sold a car for $1300 - 150.000 miles - in local newspaper. I gave him paperwork for 4 new tires, battery, brakes. Two days later buyer called saying the transmission went. I had no knowledge of this problem. Buyer drove car before buying it, never asked to take it to a mechanic before buying. We actually drove the car to his house (as a favor to him) and then removed our license plates and we noticed no problems. He said he would take me to small claims court which is o.k. with me. Do I have any responsibility regarding the transmission?

racer72

2 things. Remember the words "as-is" and use them repeatedly, especially in court if it goes that far. Second, you have no idea what the new owner did to the car in the 2 days he had it, he could have abused the car till the transmission broke. Tell him to pack sand.

Learylin

sold a car

We are in the same situation :( the people we sold the car to want their money back too and we sold it as is in writing, and we even drove it 18 miles on a highway at 60 miles an hour and when we got back home there was nothing wrong with the car at all and they even said they loved it. We asked them they wanted to take it to a mechanic before you buy it and they said no its ok the car is fine. A couple of days later they said the car was over heating and they said they took to a mechanic and he said it was a blown gasket and then few more days later they said it was a cracked block.And now they are taking us to court too to get their money back which we don't mind we have nothing to hide and they even said they are putting a lein on our car which we are making payments on ,but we do own a Van .My question is can they put a lein on our Van legally? Please can someone answer this?

Last edited:

SF439

it depends on how savvy they are. I sued for the same thing. Purchased a car, signed a "as-is". I sued. They argued they didn't know how I drove the car the 2 weeks I had it. But I had taken it to a mechanic who testified that the teeth for the transmission was worn and that slipping of the gears would have been noticed. I won. Not only did they have to reimburse me the cost of the car, I got to keep the car and they had to replace the transmission.

What is the name of your state? New York

I sold a car for $1300 - 150.000 miles - in local newspaper. I gave him paperwork for 4 new tires, battery, brakes. Two days later buyer called saying the transmission went. I had no knowledge of this problem. Buyer drove car before buying it, never asked to take it to a mechanic before buying. We actually drove the car to his house (as a favor to him) and then removed our license plates and we noticed no problems. He said he would take me to small claims court which is o.k. with me. Do I have any responsibility regarding the transmission?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">