• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amending divorce concerning health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrtomaso

What is the name of your state? New York

Although my wife and I both had lawyers, most of our divorce was the result of amicable 'off-the-record' compromise. Two years later, we remain good friends and very involved co-parents.

She is getting married in two weeks. Her new husband has family health insurance coverage. I also have full family health insurance coverage, but his plan provides more complete coverage.

It was her suggestion that I look into this.

I would like to file an amendment to the divorce so that his insurance will cover the children. We can't just pass along the children onto his policy without an amendment to the divorce.

Is this a difficult process? I'd prefer not to get lawyers involved again, simply for the expense and this matter is uncontested.

Thanks for any advice.

Tom

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? New York

Although my wife and I both had lawyers, most of our divorce was the result of amicable 'off-the-record' compromise. Two years later, we remain good friends and very involved co-parents.

She is getting married in two weeks. Her new husband has family health insurance coverage. I also have full family health insurance coverage, but his plan provides more complete coverage.

It was her suggestion that I look into this.

I would like to file an amendment to the divorce so that his insurance will cover the children. We can't just pass along the children onto his policy without an amendment to the divorce.

Is this a difficult process? I'd prefer not to get lawyers involved again, simply for the expense and this matter is uncontested.

Thanks for any advice.

Tom
What you would need to do is to put together an agreed modification to your divorce, to submit to the court. You might be able to use your past paperwork as a template. If properly written up, a judge might even sign off on it without a hearing.

The advantage of using an attorney, would be that it would be almost guaranteed that it could be done without a hearing.

mistoffolees

What you would need to do is to put together an agreed modification to your divorce, to submit to the court. You might be able to use your past paperwork as a template. If properly written up, a judge might even sign off on it without a hearing.

The advantage of using an attorney, would be that it would be almost guaranteed that it could be done without a hearing.
When drafting the agreement, it is worth noting that this change is for the benefit of the children - because they would have better insurance coverage. It probably won't matter, but it can't hurt.

mrtomaso

I suppose the biggest question is how much this is going to cost me.

I'll give my lawyer a call tomorrow to find out.

I'll let you know how it turns out, just wanted to thank ya'll for your help.

LdiJ

It should not take more than an hour or so of your attorney's time. Its something very simple.

Bali Hai

Make sure that the amendment states that you will no longer be required to provide the insurance FOREVER just in case new daddy turns out to be a dud.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">