• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death Certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

debdstacey

My husband & I married in June of 1999 and are both domicle residents of California. We both have terminal cancer and in June of 2000, the doctors informed us that my husband's cancer was finally taking over and that his liver was failing. At that time, they also informed us that he had only 3 to 4 months left of surviving. We purchased a motorhome in order to travel during the remainder of his life so that we could share what time we had left here on earth in physical form. Shortly thereafter, my husband disappeared along with the motorhome, without even a goodbye to me and our daughter. During the months of June, July, August, September, and October, I spent my time in search of his whereabouts. During the beginning of November, 2000, I received a hospital authorization notice in the mail which revealed his stay in a New Mexico Hospital. Making contact with them, I became aware that he had been transported to and from the hospital from a Nursing home in NM. When I contacted them on the morning of Novemeber 13th, I was informed that he was "dead" and had passed on 10/28/00. I continued my search until I knew the complete details of his death and place of burial. Proceeding with the necessary unfinished business, I contacted the Registrar's office to obtain a certified copy of the death certificate only to find out that I was unable to do so being that the Informant (his parents which reside in NM) claimed his marital status to be "divorced" instead of listing me as the Surviving Spouse. Now, after 3 months of persistence, I've been denied my Social Security Death Benefits, all my life insurance policies have been paid out to his brother, etc. and I've finally reached a dead end in having this fraudulent act committed, on behalf of his parents, corrected. What can be done to have the Marital Status & Place of Residency corrected on the death certificate? What action can be taken against the Parents, as well as the Employer, who knew that we were married and that I held 100% as Beneficiary of entitlement to everything we had prepared, arranged, and invested in for our own protection and well-being in the future after one's death occured?

A

advisor10

FEB 7, 2001

DEAR DEB:

It's absolutely terrible how you've been mistreated!

Send me an e-mail message (to the e-mail address shown below). I have some more detailed suggestions about steps you can take to remedy this problem.

If you know the name and address of the funeral home that handled his burial, you can contact them to ask them to please send you a photocopy of the death certificate that they keep on file, just so you'll have an idea of what it looks like until you can receive the certified copy.

RESPECTFULLY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">