• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New tennant on property is very abusive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legalwise

O.k long story short.
My wife and I live on a 5 acre property in North Central Florida, we have been renting here since Aug 2007. Recently our landlords who we get along with fairly well and who lived on the property in a mobile home, rented out the mobile home and moved less than a mile away. The new tenant lied to get in said she was a non-smoker which she is not, has no respect for the property or us, drives recklessly and inebriated on the property at 2 A:M: makes veiled threats about bringing her guns on the property. Only uses the property as cheap stabling for her horses. and intends to used the house as an occasional hang out to get drunk and raise hell on weekends. The landlord has been informed, the law has been out here on numerous occasions. The tenant plays loud thumping music at all hours, it only adds to the sleep deprivation and emotional damage and so far this is over a 3 week period. We want to sue for emotional damages and an apology and we would like to know what our chances are suing for the limit and what are chances of winning are, I have a 3+ page of incidents and the account I can provide if needed.

Thanks

Rexlan

Sure, I'll take the case and will require a $7,5000, non-refundable, retainer. We will go after her for $2.5 million and the horses. I will bring my guns too just in case. I think your chances of wining are nil but we will pursue it until you run out of money. Are you serious ... sue for emotional damages? :D

You are a renter (short term no less) and it really is none of your business what transpires on the "other side". It is the LL's business, not yours. However, if there is a public disturbance, or you are directly threatened, you can call the police but that isn't likely to accomplish much. Maybe the new person thinks you are obnoxious and are scaring her horses??

So, you best solution is to simply move ... and save your $$ in the process. If you have a lease be sure to check where it does not say anything about you approving of any other nearby renters, their activities or noise abatement requirements.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">