• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate Administrator

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oldmission

What is the name of your state?

The jursidiction is North Carolina

My ex-mother in law has just died. My daughter is helping her mother find out about her estate. Apparently, there is no will, or it has been lost. Her aunt, (her mother's sister), an attorney in NC, is in the process of being nominated by the court as the administrator of the estate. My daughter and her mother have been asked to sign a waiver of bond to expedite the proceedings. There is little trust, however, among the siblings in this matter. If they sign this waiver, are they in danger of signing away rights they have as logical heirs to what's left of the estate?

Many thanks in advance...What is the name of your state?

anteater

Allowing the personal representative to serve without posting bond does not waive the rights of the beneficiaries to inherit.

However:
1) If your ex is uneasy about the document, she should run it by her own attorney to make sure there are no landmines tucked away in it.

2) If "there is little trust," maybe it is not wise to agree to waive bond.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">