• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to garnish wages for judgment???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaban18

What is the name of your state? SD

I recently filed and won a small claims judgment against my ex-renters
I know where they work and would like to file for wage garnishment. Can someone please direct me on what to do? I don't know where to get the forms either...

kaban18

thanks for quick reply but i still can't figure out where to get these forms and how to actually file this..

fairisfair

thanks for quick reply but i still can't figure out where to get these forms and how to actually file this..
Garnishment under South Dakota Law. To enforce a judgment, a creditor in South Dakota may garnish the judgment debtor's earnings by serving a summons, affidavit, and a garnishment disclosure form on the entity or person holding the earnings. S.D.C.L. §§ 21-18-2.1, 3, and 7. These documents must also be served on the judgment debtor. S.D.C.L. § 21-18-10.

call the court and ask them how to obtain the forms. I can't seem to find them online.

kaban18

Ok i go the forms finally after a long search, surprisingly people in the court house told me they were forbidden to answer any question in regards how to file for wage garnishment, all they told me was where to get the forms.
Now that i have these forms, they seem a bit complicated to fill out, can anyone help me with this task? I would greatly apriciate this!!!!!

Thanks in advance!!

dcatz

Your plea goes unanswered.

fairisfair couldn’t find them online. You got them from the court. The further response that you got is not surprising. Court personnel are prohibited by law from providing “legal advice”. They can reject it if you did it wrong, but they can’t tell you how to do it.

Since you can’t hold the complicated forms up to the monitor and let us read, you’re basically on your own. The fact of the matter is that garnishment is seldom that complicated. It happens broadly, very frequently and simple folk do it. If you looked at SJ’s links, take another look at the forms. There shouldn’t be anything that you can’t master with a little effort, but post specific questions, if you remain completely stumped.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">