• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sealed Juvenile Record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DSudd

What is the name of your state? Ga

A child and his friend get in trouble at 17 for taking a 4-wheeler. They both were arrested, went to court, had to pay a fines, perform community service, and complete a probation period. At the time the records were supposed to be sealed. Neither child ever got in any other trouble since. However, 21 years later this arrest came up on a background check.

My question is, how can a sealed juvenile record reappear 21 years later?

Raptoer

My best guess is that the records were never sealed. It doesn't happen automatically, you have to petition the court to seal the records.

Other than that if the background check came from high enough in the US government then they might be able to take a look regardless of whether they were sealed or not. But I am not certain if they can or cannot do that.

PJ Weber

Sealing or Expunging just means that the records are taken from public view. . . nothing more. Law enforcement entities or the government agencies can still see them

It also depends who is doing the background check

Last edited:

DSudd

A potential employment opportunity. It was not for a govt position or law enforcement. These records were sealed at the time of the incident. I was just curious about this. As I said it was a very very long time ago. Is there anyway to get this removed completely from the record?

DSudd

I can assure I would of chose to NOT steal the 4-wheeler if I was the one that took it. I was just asking a question based on a conversation I had with someone recently. I did not steal this 4-wheeler or any other 4-wheeler.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">