• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petitioning the court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ms Everhart1

What is the name of your state? Florida
I am interested in information on taking over my Aunts home . She passed away on March 29th and her son is not interested in the property. I have spoke to the person that is holding the mortgage and he has advised me to petition the courts and we will go from there. Please get back to me as soon as possible.

Thank You Ms. EverhartWhat is the name of your state?

ladybg1

since there is real estate involved- Florida requires a formal probate. If there is no will & the son doesn't want to do anything, you could have an atty try to open probate with yourself as personel representative. This will either force the son to do something or make you the one in charge of what happens. Be advised there is work involved to do this. Depends on how much you want the house. If the son doesn't pay the mortgage or taxes, it may not be up to him what happens to it.Forclosure takes awhile & so does a tax sale

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">