• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House outside America

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sahara2b

What is the name of your state? California
possible to change soon

I want to apologize for my bad English before I start
I am not American citizen. I have green card. I am married to American citizen
In my home country, my mother and father gave me their home. On government papers, it say, I am owner of house but I can not sell until my mother and father is dead.
My mother died 3 years ago
My father live in the house now. He is old and ill.
I learn my spouse do not love me. Married me because I have good job and house in my home country. I read email saying it to one friend.
I want to file for divorce. I do not want to lose the house in my country.
Now I can not sell house until my father die.
If I file for divorce, can my spouse ask half of that house ? My father give house to me after I am married.
Thank you

sahara2b

Anybody know anything about my situation ? I appreciate help very much. I don't understand American laws very well.

LdiJ

Anybody know anything about my situation ? I appreciate help very much. I don't understand American laws very well.
Your parents gifted the house to you. Generally gifts are not marital property unless comingled with other marital property. You should consult an attorney, however, more than likely the house is your separate property.

mistoffolees

Your parents gifted the house to you. Generally gifts are not marital property unless comingled with other marital property. You should consult an attorney, however, more than likely the house is your separate property.
Meanwhile, she should not use her marital accounts to pay any of the house expenses to be safe.

sahara2b

Thank you ldj and mistoffolees
There was some money paid to government in my home country. My parents paid the money from their bank account. When I go that time for paper signing, I withdraw 2000 dollar from bank here. 2000 $$ I spend for food, gifts, travel when I was in my home country. Not for government taxes.
How to prove I did not pay government taxes from my 2000$ I don't know. If I have more money now, I want to hire lawyer, but I have only less than 1000 $ in the bank. I can't afford lawyer now. But I want to divorce quickly.
Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">