• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and Moving out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbench

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I currently live in OH. I want to get a divorce, but I'm being forced to move in a month and realize that most state require an alloted time of residency before being allowed to file. I want to know if I file for divorce in OH and then shortly thereafter move to TX, will that affect the paperwork? Will it still be able to process in OH?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The first question asked in a divorce court:
Did you leave in the state of Ohio for the six months IMMEDIATELY preceding the filing of the complaint?
The second question: did you live in the County of _____________ for 90 days immediately preceding the filing of the complaint.

So you need to file while you still living in Ohio. Can you get all the paperwork together that quickly?

yararoca

Same problem

I leave in GA now and want to move to Virginia to the end of May, if I start the divorce papers allready do I have to stay here? and for How long?

cbench

So if I move immediately after filing it won't matter? Will the paperwork finalize in OH if I'm living in TX when the court gets to it as long as I was in OH before the paperwork was filed?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So if I move immediately after filing it won't matter? Will the paperwork finalize in OH if I'm living in TX when the court gets to it as long as I was in OH before the paperwork was filed?
As long as you lived in Ohio before the paperwork was filed and up until the day of filing of the paperwork AND return for all necessary hearings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">