• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I freaking do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kevintc

Hi my name is kevin, I live in California. On January 3rd of this year I sold a car to an individual for $700, he only had 600 at the time so I told him he could pay me the other hundred in a week or so when he had it (stupid I know). So I send in the release of liability a day later.... about a week later I contact the individual about the 100, he explains to me that the car got towed and couldnt pay me the money, because he had to get the car out... I said fine, and didnt bother to try to get the money out of him. So months go by and last friday I get a letter in the mail from a collection agency stating that I owe a $1038 from my car (the one that I sold) being towed and stored... Of course I freaked out and called them right away. I explained my story and how I sold the car. They told me I needed proof that I sold the car, because the DMV showed that I was the registered owner. I went to the DMV yesterday, and they gave me a receipt showing that I sold and signed the car over on Jan. 3rd, but the dmv receipt date is jan. 10th (i guess its the day they got it or put it through). I called back the collection agency and told them what I had, they said it still wasnt good enough, and I had to pay it by the 16th of this month or else it was going to go on my credit.
I contacted the buyer and he told me the tow yard told him that they would just keep the car for the cost of the tow, and that was it..... He explained that he would not pay any of the debt, and that if i wanted any money i would have to take him to court.
Do I pay the amount and then take him to court, even though i might never see the money? Do I just not pay it? Do I really have to? Why is it that collection notice made it to my new address, but nothing else prior to it warning me from the tow yard? Can they do that? Please help, im freaking out****************************....
kevin t c

SF439

A release of liability is just that. You are released from any liability. Keep a copy from the DMV showing when you signed it over.
There's nothing they can do. You are not legally responsible for it. If they try suing you have great recourse in the proof that you sold the car. If they try and put it on your credit file I would sue the company directly for mischief. I wouldn't freak out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">