• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what to do now

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rckhenning

What is the name of your state? Illinois
spouce thinks she is 100% disabled. i disagree. I left. We filed bankruptcy, neither of us could control credit card spending. I got a lawyer because I thought it was the right thing to do. borrowed funds from family for the lawyer because of lack of funds. I was mislead as the extreme expense of the course of action that my attorney took. I released the attorney after retainer was used up and substantial billing followed, and because of his bad advice and actions. I still owe the attorney over $400. Spouce won a court order for me to pay for her attorney. I have two months to pay $5300.00. Now to fulfill the court order I have no funds to pay anything else. The house will go into forclosure, the utilities will not be paid, I have no funds to give spouce for living expenses, I can't afford her car insurance (she wont work because she thinks she is disabled) I only have enough funds to pay car ins and gas to get back and forth to work. nothing extra for me either. After court order is fufilled everything will be two months behind. Now I have to pay for her reresentation when I cant afford representation for myself, I have less funds now than when I released my attorney.
any sugguestions?

Bali Hai

spouce thinks she is 100% disabled. i disagree. I left. We filed bankruptcy, neither of us could control credit card spending. I got a lawyer because I thought it was the right thing to do. borrowed funds from family for the lawyer because of lack of funds. I was mislead as the extreme expense of the course of action that my attorney took. I released the attorney after retainer was used up and substantial billing followed, and because of his bad advice and actions. I still owe the attorney over $400. Spouce won a court order for me to pay for her attorney. I have two months to pay $5300.00. Now to fulfill the court order I have no funds to pay anything else. The house will go into forclosure, the utilities will not be paid, I have no funds to give spouce for living expenses, I can't afford her car insurance (she wont work because she thinks she is disabled) I only have enough funds to pay car ins and gas to get back and forth to work. nothing extra for me either. After court order is fufilled everything will be two months behind. Now I have to pay for her reresentation when I cant afford representation for myself, I have less funds now than when I released my attorney.
any sugguestions?
If you ever get born again, ask to be a woman.

mistoffolees

any sugguestions?
There are quite a few things to check out. Some may not help, but maybe something will.

Let's see. You filed for bankruptcy, so your previous debts should be gone.

She's disabled. She should be collecting Disability - from Social Security even if she doesn't have a private policy (check with her previous employers - many companies offer disability policies because they're not terribly expensive).

If she's disabled and can't work, tell her to sell the car because you're not going to pay car insurance any more. Why have this major expense if she's not able to work? She can take public transportation to her doctor's appointments.

Cut up the credit cards. Find every single discretionary item and stop buying it (do either of you smoke, for example? There's a few thousand dollars a year).

You can ask her attorney for a payment plan. If you explain the situation, he may realize he's better off getting 10% of his money every month rather than trying to get it all at once and you not being able to pay.

You're going to have to bring the divorce to a conclusion ASAP to eliminate your current efforts to support her.

Don't automatically blame it on the attorney. I obviously don't know the situation, but there are times when even the best attorney can't get what you consider to be a desirable outcome.

Talk with a credit counselor.

You didn't say what you do for a living. Look for a better job. Work overtime. Get a second job.

Good luck.

rckhenning

read responses below
There are quite a few things to check out. Some may not help, but maybe something will.

Let's see. You filed for bankruptcy, so your previous debts should be gone.

She's disabled. She should be collecting Disability - from Social Security even if she doesn't have a private policy (check with her previous employers - many companies offer disability policies because they're not terribly expensive).
I said she thinks she is disabled, social security has turned her down twice.
If she's disabled and can't work, tell her to sell the car because you're not going to pay car insurance any more. Why have this major expense if she's not able to work? She can take public transportation to her doctor's appointments.
already have cut off car insurance

Cut up the credit cards.
credit cards were destroyed with the bankruptcy there are no more
Find every single discretionary item and stop buying it (do either of you smoke, for example? There's a few thousand dollars a year).
dont smoke or drink. I have not spent any money on anything other than needed expenses for quite some time now. it took 6 months just to get in front of the judge for interim fees

You can ask her attorney for a payment plan. If you explain the situation, he may realize he's better off getting 10% of his money every month rather than trying to get it all at once and you not being able to pay.
why make a payment plan? she's the one who wants the attorney, so now she has one. she just lost all of the suport I was giving her to live on in the process. her decision not mine.

You're going to have to bring the divorce to a conclusion ASAP to eliminate your current efforts to support her.
Bringing the divorce to a conclusion is all I ever wanted. I talked to her about this, & the cost of attorneys, I tried to get her to mediate, she wanted the lawer instead now think about the results so far she has representation, & I don't who do you think will get all the favorable decisions?
Don't automatically blame it on the attorney. I obviously don't know the situation, but there are times when even the best attorney can't get what you consider to be a desirable outcome.

Talk with a credit counselor.
Credit is not an issue any more.

You didn't say what you do for a living. Look for a better job. Work overtime. Get a second job.
More reasonable would be that I get fired from my job. think about it, All my income is going to pay for her attorney, after that most of income I have will most likely go to her. she has the lawyer not me. so If I got fired after fullfilling the court order to pay interim fees then she can have most of nothing, I can work for cash under the table and have more for myself.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">