• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relative Adoption in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KirstenD

What is the name of your state? California

My husband and I have decided to try and pursue adopting my nephews.

Currently, my parents have guardianship rights after my brother and his ex-wife left the kids with them to raise around the age of 2 and 3. Now the kids are 7 and 8 and my parents health is not what it was five years ago. My parents can barely keep up.

We moved in with my parents to help out about a year ago. In doing this, we've ended up shouldering a lot of the responsbility in terms of the kids. My parents, my husband and I have all come to terms that it would be better if we take over guardianship rights or adopt these boys - preferably adopt to release the parents from their financial obligations.

What steps should we now take? Is this a simple process that is handled with paperwork? How long will it take to legally adopt these boys if the parents sign over their parental rights?

Thanks to anyone who can help!!!

Isis1

hire an attorney. any and every attorney on this board will tell you that adoption is not a do it yourself project. it would be the worst thing in the world for you to go through the process yourself, not do it right and the parents come back and reclaim the kids all over a legal technicality. even if they voluntarily signed the adoption.

KirstenD

I don't expect to try and do it myself. But I was just more curious as to the different steps required before going to see my lawyer.

Thanks!

LdiJ

I don't expect to try and do it myself. But I was just more curious as to the different steps required before going to see my lawyer.

Thanks!
If the parents will agree to allow the adoption, then there is not much that has to be done prior to seeing the attorney.

Basically, what will happen is that the attorney will prepare consent documents for the parents to sign, and then will submit paperwork to the courts for the adoption. A home study is normally required and then the adoption will be finalized by the court.

If the parents don't agree, then its more complicated, and you would be better off to discuss your questions with a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">