• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OIL CHANGE CAUSES PROBLEMS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joseph17

Last week Saturday I had my oil changed and air filter replaced at a quick oil change establishment. Prior to coming in my 1998 Mitsubishi Galant was running fine. Driving out I noticed that the gears were shifting with a thump while I was either accelerating or de-accelerating. When I went to work on Monday, the car stalled out on me, while stopped at a light. Although the car was cold, it never died out on me. During the week I noticed that while the engine was cold, the car would stall out when shifting from park to reverse or to drive.

Although I took the car back to the oil change establishment, they couldn't see anything wrong. I called a mechanic and explained the situation, and he said they could have moved something while changing the air filter. Although I checked in that area, I couldn't see anything loose. But it was a tight squeeze, and couldn't even take the filter casing apart to get to it.

My question is:

Since the car is dangerous to continue driving with the stalling, I will have to take it to a mechanic ($45 per hour diagnostic plus parts) and find out what is wrong....and if it is related to the oil change, do I have a right to send them the bill for the mechanic?

Or should I contact them first and tell them what I am doing, in case they want to have their own mechanic evaluate and fix it?

Thanks for any advice.
Joe/NJ

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">