• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Work Comp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maximus_440

Around March of last year I fell at work and injured my shoulder.I folowed all the guidlines set by the company as to drug tests and doctor check-ups and treatment.After two or so weeks of being un-able to return to work my employer called my doctor and made him sign my release form to return to work.I,however,was still unable to have full range of motion in my right arm.My job requires me to have full use of both hands,other wise it is very unsafe.At any rate,I called my employer and informed them of my status.The said if i didnt report for work I would be terminated.I was forced to use all but one day of my vaction that I had just aquired on March first 2000.I am wondering the lawfullness of my employer calling my doctor,and also for making me either use my vaction or face termination.Any adivce would be greatly helpfull.

O

ohbratti1

"Making" a doctor sign a release is unethical, at the very least. It puts the patient at medical risk. If the doctor signed a release when you were not medically ready, you could report him to the state medical board. Also, your employer is not entitled to interfere with your medical care. If your doctor provided information about your medical condition to your employer, he may have violated your right to privacy. The employer is only entitled the bare minimum of information - that which pertains to your ability to work i.e. what your work restrictions are. If I were you, I would get a second opinion. Unless your employer is self-insured, you don't have to tell him who your doctor is. However, you do need to tell the insurance carrier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">