• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend is sueing me for wrecking motorcycle help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kaoms

What is the name of your state? FL
I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place but my friend filed a civil suit against me because I wrecked his motorcycle. He had just bought a brand new motorcycle and brought it over to my house. He asked me if I wanted to take it around the block and so I did. Consequently I crashed and went to the emergency room for a couple of days. Here in FL, it is not required to have motorcycle insurance.

So he has brought a suit against me for:
repair bike: $5000
helmit: $600
loss of value $1500

I have to go to court wednesday for a "motion for summary" which i do not even know what that is and i cannot afford a lawyer.

Am I obligated to pay this?? What is the law???

If the shoe was on the other foot and your friend wrecked your motorcycle, I'm sure you would bill him for the damages as well.

You had a choice to ride or not ride. You chose to ride and subsequently crashed. Yes, it is your responsibility to pay.

tmtids

I'm no lawyer, but if you could prove that there was some kind of defect in the motorcycle that caused the crash, blown tire, stuck throttle, faulty brakes, etc. that may take the liability off of you.

But, since the bike was brand new, that would probably be very difficult.

Was there another party to the accident? Could it possibly be someone else's fault? I would think that if you could somehow prove that you were not responsible for what happened...that would probably be your only defense.

One last suggestion, you may want to consult an attorney. Most of the time they will give you an initial consultation for free.

SF439

Do you have full coverage on your own auto? If so, it may cover vehicles you drive that are owned by others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">