• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Loan Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lost_210

What is the name of your state? New York

I lent someone $6200 last year (with the intent of them paying me back my the end of the summer, 2007) and have not yet received a dime! I keep hearing "I promise I'll pay you back, I'm not the scumbag you think I am", etc, all of which I now have recorded (about 15 conversations promising to pay me back over the last 4 months). Someone told me that in NY it IS legal to tape record conversations for CONTEXT of loan. I am going to take him to small claims court (and unfortunately lose $1200, but I don't have a choice). I do not have a lawyer to help me. Can someone please tell me if this will hold up as evidence in NY?

Thank you,
Lost

lost_210

Personal Loan Dispute (cont'd)

I was reading through some other posts and see different comments about statute of limitations... what is the statute of limitations in NY? I do not have anything signed by him, I do however have a few emails of him basically pleading to help out and lend him money and a few responses to emails I have sent him requesting him to pay me back Although, he only simply stated "Just read, enough said", not actually "admitting" to the loan but admitting he read my email. I do however, as noted earlier, have numerous taped conversations stating he promises to pay me back $6200 and how appreciative he was that I helped him and and blah, blah, blah... always another excuse from him. I have a list of every dollar amount given and what it was given for (it was not all given at once, it was over a 4-6 week period), I have a few receipts of items paid for and a few cash advances on my credit card (I did that to have some sort of proof). And again, since small claims in NY is only $5000, I know I will lose $1200, but will be ok if I get back $5000!! I really appreciate any possible help/suggestions as I feel I am 100% in the right to request a judgement against him.
Thank you again for taking the time to read this.
Lost

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">