• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is an appeal a separate case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bfunkjazz

What is the name of your state? CA

When someone files an appeal, is that appeal a separate case from the original case being appealed?

What I am trying to find out is that if a case was heard in civil court, allowed with a relief from stay from a bankruptcy matter, is an appeal of the verdit in that case allowable under bankruptcy protection since the automatic stay did not specify anything about appeals. The ruling only states that the issues of the orignial case could be heard and nothing about any ancilliary court proceeding, even that of an appeal of the original trial.

I realize the appeal is about the issues in the original trial, I just thought as a long shot I'd find out how long a Relief from Stay is sustained in a case.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">