• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Validity of Divorce Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Propellerhead7

Validity of Divorce - Please, need just one question answered ASAP.

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

The divorce in question is a "no fault" Consent Decree divorce by the Superior Court in Maricopa County, Arizona.

We had been married in 1996, separated since 2000, and figured 2008 would be as good as any year to get divorced; there is an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage with no signs of repair. Usually it was a lax subject between us, until something renewed her interest in getting it done ASAP. None of my business why.

We representing ourselves "Pro Per" (or "Pro Se" as said in MA). I had provided her all the accurate information she needs and was served papers with an incorrect birthdate on them. The marriage date & state (MA), my full name, SSN, and birth month & day were correct, but the birth year was incorrect. I re-checked all my e-mails and .PDFs and found them to be correct. I sent her numerous corrections, but she doesn't seem interested in fixing them. She was told by numerous Maricopa County, AZ family law clerks that "it shouldn't matter" and "you would have to re-serve the Respondent". This didn't sit right with me, so I called a few Maricopa County, AZ family law clerks myself, trying to supply the correct information. I was told by these clerks that "the correction must be handed in by the Petitioner", which is the wife who is reluctant to change/correct anything!:eek:

The Petition for Consent Decree and the Sensitive Data Sheet contained the incorrect birthdate. Neither the actual Consent Decree paperwork nor its corresponding Exhibit/s had mentioned or referenced the incorrect birthyear. These documents only required my overlooking and signature as well as a notary's signature and stamp.

My question is this: Where the Petiton for Consent Decree was a means to announce the impending divorce, and the Sensitive Data Sheet was meant to provide a snapshot of my finances, will it be considered a valid divorce if the Consent Decree is approved by the judge even if my birthyear is off by two years?:confused:

To Whom It May Concern, thank you in advance for reading this over and providing any feedback or advice you may offer.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">