• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glennandbetty

What is the name of your state? ohio
My 16 year old son was doing 63 in a 55mph zone. The sheriff deputy turned around and followed my son but did not put his lights on. Having a guilty consience my son pulled over by himself. He did have 2 other non family members in his car. The officer gave him the ticket for speeding but did not know the ordinance code for the new law of having more than one other non family member in the car. He told him that he would let that one slide. My son signed the ticket and went to juvenile court today for the speeding ticket. When we were called before the magistrate we found to our surprise that the officer had added another offence to his ticket. The problem is that the number he wrote on the ticket must have been wrong because it is listed as a violation of probationary licence. Can an officer write other offenses after you sign the ticket? Is the new law regarding non family members in the car a "violation of probationary license"? We now have a pretrial date set for June. Thanks for any information that you may have for me.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yep because what your son has is a probationary license. he amended the ticket. Your son had notice of it. Does he have an attorney?

Raptoer

Believe Ohiogal over me, however I do not believe that you NEED a lawyer for this.

The speeding ticket has two effects, the first is a fine, and the second is defined in
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4507.071
As well as the violation of probational license.

The second effect mentioned above (if I'm reading this correctly) is that your son must have a parent or guardian in the car while driving until he turns 17.

I'm not certain what it means by "minor misdemeanor" however it is likely fine and/or community service.

As I said before, you probably don't NEED a lawyer, but asking one who specializes in moving violations what this all means couldn't hurt.

glennandbetty

Thank you both for all your help. I guess I will have to wait until June to have this over with. If I had known that the officer had amended the ticket I would have been better prepared and would have just said that the offenses were true. Thanks so very much for your help in this matter.

seniorjudge

Thank you both for all your help. I guess I will have to wait until June to have this over with. If I had known that the officer had amended the ticket I would have been better prepared and would have just said that the offenses were true. Thanks so very much for your help in this matter.
Get a lawyer.

Now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">