• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Momma's Boy

What is the name of your state? WV
My Mom and step dad are separated after 26 years of marriage. They both want a divorce. In short, he is showing signs of early Alzheimer's disease. He has always been stubborn and irresponsible financially. He has been verbally abusive and at times has pushed my mom in heated arguments. My step dad has been the source of most of his income through SS, pension with UMWA, and disability after working in the coal mines. They have equity in a home. She has always been the housewife and he has always discouraged her from working. She only gets a small SS check. I want to do what I can to help her have enough money and monthly income to live independently for a while if possible after the divorce. He was given his pension and disability a few years after they were married. He is not good with his finances. He has little education but has been a hard worker. Mom has always ran the checkbook. I would like to know what she could expect from his income and the sale of the home? I am not after her "taking him to the cleaners". I just want to help assure that she will be able to live on her own after the divorce. She has a lawyer and is just starting to work on the case. Any input/ advice would be appreciated.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? WV
My Mom and step dad are separated after 26 years of marriage. They both want a divorce. In short, he is showing signs of early Alzheimer's disease. He has always been stubborn and irresponsible financially. He has been verbally abusive and at times has pushed my mom in heated arguments. My step dad has been the source of most of his income through SS, pension with UMWA, and disability after working in the coal mines. They have equity in a home. She has always been the housewife and he has always discouraged her from working. She only gets a small SS check. I want to do what I can to help her have enough money and monthly income to live independently for a while if possible after the divorce. He was given his pension and disability a few years after they were married. He is not good with his finances. He has little education but has been a hard worker. Mom has always ran the checkbook. I would like to know what she could expect from his income and the sale of the home? I am not after her "taking him to the cleaners". I just want to help assure that she will be able to live on her own after the divorce. She has a lawyer and is just starting to work on the case. Any input/ advice would be appreciated.
Well, she is certainly entitled to 1/2 of the equity in the home. She would also be entitled to file for SS benefits based on his earnings record rather than her own if that would net her a higher benefit (that also would NOT reduce his benefit). Other than that, with him potentially having alzheimers, she may not get much else. Her attorney is really in the best position to advise her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">