• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Status Conference What should I expect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jfitz9881

What is the name of your state? CA.
This is a divorce with no dependent children.
I (Plaintiff) have a Status conference scheduled for Tuesday April 15 in San Diego.
I was told the respondent has signed a marital settlement agreement that I have signed but I have not received a signed copy from the respondent. The opposing counsel has dragged their feet and waited until the last minute so my file is with the judge and I can not see whats in it and do not know if a Marital Settlement Agreement has been filed.
The only issue that I know of that is before the court is the amount and duration of spousal support.

Does the court make final judgements at a status conference?
Since I have not received a copy of the Marital Settlement Agreement signed by the respondent can I request the agreement be null and void at the settlement conference?
What can I expect at the status conference?

Thanks

Jim
San DIego

seniorjudge

Does the court make final judgements at a status conference?

Rarely, if ever.

Since I have not received a copy of the Marital Settlement Agreement signed by the respondent can I request the agreement be null and void at the settlement conference?

No, but you can ask for a copy of it. Well, you can ask for anything you want; just don't expect it to be granted.

What can I expect at the status conference?

You will find out how the case is progressing or how badly it is stalled.

If the documents have been filed with the court, you can go the courthouse yourself and take a look at your file on Monday morning. They might charge a nominal fee for copies. I have personally found this to be a fairly easy process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">