• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal representative disclosures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

charisfarm

What is the name of your state? Montana

Hi,
How much of my record keeping am I obligated to disclose to fellow heirs? One of my sisters is being difficult about closing the estate. Help and thanks.

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? Montana

Hi,
How much of my record keeping am I obligated to disclose to fellow heirs? One of my sisters is being difficult about closing the estate. Help and thanks.
The accounting report becomes part of the probate file that is public record. What's the problem with giving your sister a copy?

charisfarm

I have submitted paperwork to the estate attorney that he says is fine. Now she wants me to prove to her what Montana law says about how much the attorney fee should be. There is a piano as part of the estate, I advertised it, had people come and look at it, she wants me to prove they were there. Well, honestly I didn't make people sign a log book when they cam in the door.

Zipper775

Is she disputing how much the piano sold for? Did it sell for a fair market value or somewhere near that amount? If she is disputing the attorney fees, perhaps she could discuss that with the attorney. I am all for open books and communication, otherwise people think you have something to hide or are cheating them. (not saying that you are)

anteater

I have submitted paperwork to the estate attorney that he says is fine. Now she wants me to prove to her what Montana law says about how much the attorney fee should be. There is a piano as part of the estate, I advertised it, had people come and look at it, she wants me to prove they were there. Well, honestly I didn't make people sign a log book when they cam in the door.
Does your sister get her kicks using tweezers to pull the legs off spiders? Dumping bleach into aquaria to watch the fish go belly-up?

I would tell her that you report to the court. And, if she has a problem with the way you are administering the estate, she is free to get (and pay for) her own attorney and petition the court. And, oh by the way, when she does that, your fee as PR and the estate attorney's fee escalate.

If you just feel that you have to reply to her, here are the MT provisions on PR and attorney compensation:

http://data.opi.state.mt.us/bills/mca/72/3/72-3-631.htm
http://data.opi.state.mt.us/bills/mca/72/3/72-3-633.htm

BlondiePB

Anteater kindly provided you with links regarding attorney fees. Tell sis to keep a log of people's comings & goings.

You can either tell sis to get herself a copy of the accounting report from the courthouse or just provide her with a copy. I agree about not having anything to hide & providing documents when one has the right to inspect documents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">