• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refund deposit on house rental

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geogypsy

What is the name of your state? Washington

I just moved out of a rental and it has been over 14 days and I had not received my deposit back. I called the management co. and was told they had not even mailed it out yet because they were waiting on the cleaning bill.
Do I have any grounds to take them to small claims court and get my full deposit back. According to the RCW they must give me my full deposit back if it is not refunded withing 14 days. I just dont want to waste anyones time if I get to court and there is a loophole somewhere that I have missed.

Thanks

Hot Topic

I'd give them another week, and if you still haven't heard from them, I'd file in small claims court. It's not your fault that they're waiting on the cleaning bill. They should know the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">