• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing a probate petition without a lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shingen

What is the name of your state? Kansas

My dad just passed April 2nd, without a will. He wasn't married, but he had two kids. I'm one and my brother. No one is contesting.

All the property is under $6000 ( a mobile home, and truck), and some other odds and ends. He had a bank account with about $900 which I don't have access to. The bank says I have to go through probate to open the account.

Can anyone give me an idea how I would file a Probate petition? I talked to a Lawyer, but they want $2000-$3000, which I don't have.

Which district court clerk would I go to? What's the name of the petition (ie: paperwork) I need to ask for to file?

Do I need to bring the titles, death certificate, birth certificate, ect when I file?

Do I need to do an itemized, appraised inventory of everything he left?

Is there an ultimate deadend to file a petition?

My brother isn't going too contest and doesn't want to get involved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">