• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schlummi75

NM
i am thinking about getting divorced, i have a 2 year old daughter, born in NM, i am a Permanent Resident,
my husband is treating me like a slave ever since i got here, he abuses me, calls me names, he has beaten me up one time, i called 911 on him.
he is a convicted DUI offender and he is on probation until FEB 2009
what are my chances of getting full custody for my daughter, i am worried because i am not an American

thanks

NM
i am thinking about getting divorced, i have a 2 year old daughter, born in NM, i am a Permanent Resident,
my husband is treating me like a slave ever since i got here, he abuses me, calls me names, he has beaten me up one time, i called 911 on him.
what are my chances of getting full custody for my daughter, i am worried because i am not an American

thanks
You are both parents to your child. He may or may not be a good parent, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have rights to visit his child. You considered him a good enough person when you decided to have a child, ... Prove in court that he is a danger to his child then he would be put on supervised visitation.

When you called 911, was he arrested for domestic violence?

If he persists with abuse, call 911 again and ask to have sole use of the marital residence and a restraining order put in place.

Read the posts in the domestic violence and abuse section of this board. There are copious accounts similar to what you described.

File for divorce if that is what you think is best, but unless you husband is a danger to your child, he will have some kind of visitation rights. He may or may not choose to exercise those rights.

LdiJ

NM

thanks
You have permanent resident status therefore the fact that you are not an American citizen will have no bearing on child custody. However, if you are planning on moving the child back to your home country, THAT would have serious bearing on child custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">