• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CookieTPA

I was recently pulled over for doing 78 in a 70 zone in Louisiana. I was driving a rental car with Calif plates, and I was driving with the flow of traffic. The deputy asked to see my license and asked if I knew I was going 78 mph. I replied that I was unaware that I was speeding, I was just going with the rest of the traffic. He asked me numerous questions about why I was traveling on the road...all very easy to answer, I was on vacation in NewOrleans and visiting online friends that lived in Houston. He asked if I would agree to a vehicle search and I said "no". He asked why and I told him because it was my right to refuse. I knew I had half a joint in the car and I really did not want to be caught with it. He however had a dog and when he took the dog around the car the dog stopped at the trunk and scratched at it. At this point he said he had probable cause to search the vehicle. Knowing that with the dog he was going to find my half a joint I admitted to it being in my gum package. He still proceeded to completely search the car and my luggage. He said he was going to be nice to me and let me off with just a citation for both the speeding and possesion, and that I needed to call the number on the back to find out what I needed to do to take care of the tickets.

When I returned home to Florida I called and was told I had to appear in court for the possession charge. Since this is obviously going to be more inconvenient and expensive than just paying thru the mail, I was wondering if it would be best to go to court and possibly fight the charges. I've often heard that if you do actually contest such charges it is very likely to get off....any advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">