• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help and advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kroach12753

What is the name of your state? virginia
i was widowed in 99. i met my current husband and lived with him for five years before marrying in 06. i knew he had issues before we wed but he seemed to change. after we wed it all came back. he is abusive, has anger problems. while he has never physically abused me he is mentally and emotionally abusive. he hides things from me and makes plans and decisions with his grown children without consulting me. he has used most of the money i had before we wed and we refinanced my home before we wed to use the equity to buy a piece of property he wanted. now the mortgage is in his name but the house is in both. i used to pay almost all the bills until my ss benifits from my first husbands death ran out, now he has the bigger income and acts very controlling about money. i have managed to put about 16k back into savings because i know i need to get out of this marriage and i will need some money. i have had to call the police on a couple of occasions to be able to get out of the house when his outbursts start so i think there are police records to back up my claims of abuse. he traps me here and keeps screaming and yelling. accusing me of things that are not true and calling my family names and is insulting to all of us. i want to file for divorce, i am afraid of him and i am starting to feel nervous all the time but i have no where to go . he has said he will not leave and if i file for divorce he will not pay any more bills. he has also assulted 2 of my boys. they were both over 18. he is very street smart, knows just how far he can go. i need to file for divorce but i want to be able to stay in my home while it is going on. can i make him leave? can i make him continue to pay bills while the divorce is going on? can i get a divorce if we both live under the same roof? what should i do to start planning for a divorce and what should i do to protect myself from financial ruin. i have kept a perfect credit record. i dont want to lose that or the money i have saved or the house my first husband left me with. i also have no health insurance except for the coverage from his employer and i cant afford to buy health insurance now. where do i start?:(

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state? virginia
i was widowed in 99. i met my current husband and lived with him for five years before marrying in 06. i knew he had issues before we wed but he seemed to change. after we wed it all came back. he is abusive, has anger problems. while he has never physically abused me he is mentally and emotionally abusive. he hides things from me and makes plans and decisions with his grown children without consulting me. he has used most of the money i had before we wed and we refinanced my home before we wed to use the equity to buy a piece of property he wanted. now the mortgage is in his name but the house is in both. i used to pay almost all the bills until my ss benifits from my first husbands death ran out, now he has the bigger income and acts very controlling about money. i have managed to put about 16k back into savings because i know i need to get out of this marriage and i will need some money. i have had to call the police on a couple of occasions to be able to get out of the house when his outbursts start so i think there are police records to back up my claims of abuse. he traps me here and keeps screaming and yelling. accusing me of things that are not true and calling my family names and is insulting to all of us. i want to file for divorce, i am afraid of him and i am starting to feel nervous all the time but i have no where to go . he has said he will not leave and if i file for divorce he will not pay any more bills. he has also assulted 2 of my boys. they were both over 18. he is very street smart, knows just how far he can go. i need to file for divorce but i want to be able to stay in my home while it is going on. can i make him leave? can i make him continue to pay bills while the divorce is going on? can i get a divorce if we both live under the same roof? what should i do to start planning for a divorce and what should i do to protect myself from financial ruin. i have kept a perfect credit record. i dont want to lose that or the money i have saved or the house my first husband left me with. i also have no health insurance except for the coverage from his employer and i cant afford to buy health insurance now. where do i start?:(
You should talk with a local attorney about filing for divorce and obtaining possession of the house and a restraining order against him.

tsyver

my question is why would you want him to remain living with you(and paying bills)once you've filed for divorce? if you're afraid of him now, what do you think he's going to be like when you file (AND CONTINUE LIVING WITH HIM)???
i was in a similar situation and once i had him out of my house, i was STILL afraid to file for divorce...

kroach12753

i dont want him living with me. its just that he has told me he" will not move out. if i want a divorce i should go get one but hes not goiing anywhere. " i dont have anywhere else to go and cannot afford to move out. i already own everything here. i had my home and all the furnishings when i married him. he says everything here is joint property because we are married and the judge will have to tell him what i can have and what i cant. i am afraid that he will take or sell my things if i leave.

LdiJ

i dont want him living with me. its just that he has told me he" will not move out. if i want a divorce i should go get one but hes not goiing anywhere. " i dont have anywhere else to go and cannot afford to move out. i already own everything here. i had my home and all the furnishings when i married him. he says everything here is joint property because we are married and the judge will have to tell him what i can have and what i cant. i am afraid that he will take or sell my things if i leave.
Again, you use some of that money that you have held back to retain an attorney, explain everything that you have explained here to the attorney, and you file for divorce and sole possession of the house.

Make sure that the attorney knows that his land was purchased using equity from your premarital house.

You NEED an attorney here. You need to make it crystal clear to the attorney that you are afraid of him and afraid of what he will do with/to your property if you move out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">