• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions regarding assault and battery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

akissage

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My step-father attacked me a few days ago and I had him arrested. He was charged wtih simple battery and interference with a 911 call. The responding officers documented my injuries with photographs and I took my own photos just in case. I gave a written statement but unfortunately my mom would not write a statement even though she witnessed the entire incident; she didn't want to say anything bad about her husband. The police officers pulled me aside and assured me I was doing the right thing but to not expect help from my mother because she is clearly suffering from battered wife syndrome. It's been very hard but I will see it through. .

The police recommended a no contact bond provision and it was signed by a judge. My step-father was then released on bond. He is staying with one of his daughters and today I received a call from the daughter's landline. I said "hello?" a few times with no response and then whoever called hung up. I called the police again and they made another report and followed up with an investigation. Tomorrow I intend to go to the courthouse to get a TPO for myself.

My questions are this. Unfortunately, my step-father is a very high powered member of our community. He has friends in high places (a former president, our governor, multiple judges) and is very wealthy. It is almost guaranteed he will get away with a slap on the wrist, if that. I want him punished for what he has been doing and someone recommended that I pursue a civil suit. Can I sue him for assault and battery for attacking me? Will he be able to make the arrest charges somehow disappear using his stature? Is it better for me to get an attorney in our county that might know the judge or find one in another county that hopefully won't know my step-father? What kind of compensatory and punitive damages are possible?

Thank you for your responses.What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">