• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend doesn't reveal medical condition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kittywoman

What is the name of your state? IL My husband was killed on October 5, 2005. A couple of months later I met a woman who became my friend. I needed some carpentry work done. I needed a back and front deck built. I needed a shed built and a privacy fence put up. My friend was in this line of work. She said she could save me money. I looked at one of her projects and it appeared she was capable of doing my work. I hired her. We became closer as friends and she asked to borrow 2000.00 dollars. I lent it to her. She charged me 6000.00 to do the work. All this was verbal agreements. She failed to tell me that she had a history of siezures. I would not have hired her if I would have known this. One month into my projects she started having grand mall siezures at my house during work hours. She missed a lot of work and I finally had to let her go and hire someone else to finish the job. She didn't refund any of my money nor did she pay back the money I loaned her. She came to my house a couple of days ago and she is now on disability, she has completed bankrupsy and she was driving a new 2008 car. She offered me 200.00 dollars. Since this was a verbal agreement, can I take her to court. Will the fact of her getting disability prevent me from taking her to court. She took advantage of me!!!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You will have to make sure your "debt" wasn't discharged in the bankruptcy.

SF439

Did she include you directly in the bankruptcy? If not, you may have recourse in collecting, stating that she didn't file on you directly.
But, even if you did win, you cannot attach SSI payments or any federal money. I would file a police report for grand theft or embezzlement, fraud, etc. Since you wasn't notified of her bankruptcy you were entitled to attend the creditors meeting. Did she file chapter 7 or chapter 13? That makes a huge difference. I would still file a small claims stating fraud and breach of oral contract and still file a police report. She may find a way to pay you to make it go away. But I wouldn't let this go. Oh, and one other thing to remember, bankruptcy cannot include acts of fraud. So if you do your research you have a lot of different grounds in which to argue why you shouldn't be included in bankruptcy. You can even file a petition with the bankruptcy courts to have her bankruptcy reversed citing fraud.

What is the name of your state? IL My husband was killed on October 5, 2005. A couple of months later I met a woman who became my friend. I needed some carpentry work done. I needed a back and front deck built. I needed a shed built and a privacy fence put up. My friend was in this line of work. She said she could save me money. I looked at one of her projects and it appeared she was capable of doing my work. I hired her. We became closer as friends and she asked to borrow 2000.00 dollars. I lent it to her. She charged me 6000.00 to do the work. All this was verbal agreements. She failed to tell me that she had a history of siezures. I would not have hired her if I would have known this. One month into my projects she started having grand mall siezures at my house during work hours. She missed a lot of work and I finally had to let her go and hire someone else to finish the job. She didn't refund any of my money nor did she pay back the money I loaned her. She came to my house a couple of days ago and she is now on disability, she has completed bankrupsy and she was driving a new 2008 car. She offered me 200.00 dollars. Since this was a verbal agreement, can I take her to court. Will the fact of her getting disability prevent me from taking her to court. She took advantage of me!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">