• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

checks

• Thread starter Darlene F Davis
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Darlene F Davis

I am 49% owner of a business, in December 2000 a check was mailed to our company. The check was made payable to us (exact company name) the accounts receivable lady endorsed the check and deposited the check. About a month later, the company whom sent the check called to say it was mailed in error to the wrong company and wanted a refund. We have not yet sent the refund. Today, the manager called to say he was issuing a warrant for my arrest for theft by deception. I did not endorse the check. Can I be arrested for this.

racer72

In some states it may be illegal to deposit funds that are not owed and you or your bookkeeper could be charged with theft. Did they owe you any money? If they did, its your money. If they did not owe you money, you have no legal right to the money and must return it. You could be liable for the any costs (court and attorney) for them to get their money back. Just like finding a bag of money on the sidewalk, you can be charged with theft for keeping it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">