• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Closing estate bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dumbexecutor

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My mother died in June of 2007, and I am the executor of her estate. Her estate is closed in the eyes of the county's probate court, and I have completed all necessary tax returns.

My question relates to any possible medical bills that may still trickle in. I certainly feel an ethical duty to pay any valid debts that were incurred (we're talking $5 and $10 co-pay type of bills). That said, at some point I believe it reasonable to say "I'm done" and close the estate bank account. Does the law speak to how long I should wait to do so?

Dandy Don

Did you at some point during the probate process place a notice about the estate in a local newspaper so that creditors could submit their bills for payment?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">