• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice and a Tax Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HGWinc

What is the name of your state?New Jersey

I'm posting this for a friend who does not have internet access. In a nutshell, she was falsely accused of domestic violence (he said she scratched him but then later expanded the story). Husband never had to prove it in court and she had a lawyer who, IMO, did not represent her properly and she ended up having to go to anger management and she was only allowed to see her children once a week, in the courthouse, under supervision. She has since been able to see them, unsupervised, every other weekend and every Tues & Thurs.

He refuses to mediate about anything and she can't afford an attorney. He put all credit card debt on her, even though she was a homemaker the entire time they were together, he applied for credit cards but put her name on them and used his place of employment, salary etc. so most of the cards are in her name? He was the big spender, she is miserly (seriously, I've known her for over 20yrs). How does she deal with this CC debt without an attorney? She can not get legal aid because of it being divorce related and/or because of the domestic violence charge.

Meanwhile, he's allowing their 15yr old daughter to spend the nights at her boyfriends, he told the court he was going to get her counseling but he only took her twice......their two sons are having problems in school, the younger one (6) is going to the bathroom on himself, they told my friend that when he mentions her name...the husband tells them that "I got rid of her because she was beating me" and that they are not allowed to bring her name up. They are 6 & 10.

She has endured so many injustices in this whole thing. Her name is on the deed of the house but he is stating that it's his house now, that he gets everything.

Now, he wants her to sign a joint tax return and she refused, his lawyer called and said that she should be if not, the husband will have to pay the state $4000-$5000 but not if she signs. Now he want's a favor? The lawyer told her that if she doesn't sign it, he will petition the court and she will have to pay all the lawyer and court fees, as well as sign the return. She told the lawyer that if he would put it in writing that she would get half of the federal refund that she would consider signing it...the lawyer agreed but I told her to be hesitant because the husband owes back child support from a child he had years ago....and that the money will go to that...including her half. Please advise on this for me. I need to know what to tell her to say to the lawyer, if she should sign it or not, etc and something she could use as reference so that lawyer will take her seriously. Also, they are not divorced yet, supposedly going to trial in May. Thanks.

tuffbrk

She could submit an injured spouse form to the IRS if there is a tax intercept - presuming that she receives the notice and he doesn't "hide" it from her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">