• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

any laws on time frame for completing a divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcatman2

Virginia- Is there a law on how long a divorce can take. My divorce has been going on for 3 years, and it is not that complicated. I feel my attorney and my wife's is dragging this out, possibly to get more money. Our house was sold about 8 months ago, and we still haven't seen the money from the sale. The seperation agreement spelled out how the funds should be dispersed. My wife changed attorneys because of disagreements, but that has been about 10 months ago. I call my attorney, but I can't get anywhere, just billed for more. I am afraid to switch attorneys because it would probably cost that much more, which I don't have, and drag it out further. What should I do?

tuffbrk

Oh wow - I feel for you. So much debt can be accumulated in 3 years!! I wish I had an answer or some reasonable guidance to offer - but I don't!! Maybe one of the seniors will come along with some advice for you.

As it relates to the sale of your home - were you at the closing to sign the documents? Who represented you - an attorney? Title agent? Contact them to find out to whom they disbursed the funds. They should have a record and you should have received a copy of the HUD-1 settlement statement.

Hang in there until a senior comes along...

jcatman2

I was not at the closing, I am in the reserves and had been called up and was not in country at the time. I was only gone for 7 months, but I did miss the closing. My dad had a specific power of attorney for the closing. The funds were put in escrow at a bank until the attorneys get together and finalize. I have a copy of the settlement agreement as well as how the funds are to be disbursed, just waiting on attorneys to get it done. Long wait.

LdiJ

I was not at the closing, I am in the reserves and had been called up and was not in country at the time. I was only gone for 7 months, but I did miss the closing. My dad had a specific power of attorney for the closing. The funds were put in escrow at a bank until the attorneys get together and finalize. I have a copy of the settlement agreement as well as how the funds are to be disbursed, just waiting on attorneys to get it done. Long wait.
Are you or can you communicate with your wife at all? Surely she is just as anxious as you are to get things finalized. What motivation would she have for allowing the money to sit in an escrow account? Maybe if you both put pressure on your attorneys to get things finalized, they will get things finalized.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">