• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealing with Aftermath of Breakup, Help Please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sille80

What is the name of your state? California

I have an X-girlfriend that I lent $1500 to bail her out of jail, but has not repaid me. She ended up going to Jail anyways for the last 49 days. We have a dog that we bought, I paid $180 cash and she wrote a check for $270 that bounced to the breeder. She is now been bailed out a 2nd time by her family. Now that she is out she wants to pick up the dog, and I dont want to let her have it until I have been repaid. Do I have any legal ramifications to keep the dog? I think her name is on all of the ownership paperwork if there is any... She said that she will write up a legal contract for monthly repayments to me as her sister is close to becoming a lawyer. Is there anything else I can do to get my money? How should I proceed to get my money?

We also had lived in a place for almost a month that she said she could afford (she stated she would pay rent) We were soon evicted after the landlord never received rent or deposit from her, but unfortunately both of our names are on the rental agreement so I assume he will be loking for his $1800.

P.S. She has written numerous fraudulent checks from closed accounts, and has a history of not showing up to court dates etc...

How should I proceed to handle all of this???

She doesnt have any money, just got out of jail and needs to try to find a job. She has to pay some restitution as well, so she says she wont be able to start paying me until July. She owes me $1500, and says in July she can probably make $200 payments.

Advice would be greatly appreciated...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">