• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

withdrawing a divorce petition in nj

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keebler66

What is the name of your state? NJ my husband has said he has withdrawn his request for divorce. It has been about 7 weeks ago. He said when the date comes up, there will be no further action. Can't he just tell his lawyer he wants to stop the proceeding? Or does he really need to wait until the date comes up. thanks for your answer:)

mistoffolees

The procedings will stop when no one shows for the court date.
That may be true, but I wouldn't rely on it. Maybe I'm paranoid because my ex was a sneaky lunatic, but she's the type who would have told me that it was all off and that there was no need to go to the hearing -- and then shown up herself and asked for a default judgment.

Better to handle it with the appropriate legal motions.

Bali Hai

That may be true, but I wouldn't rely on it. Maybe I'm paranoid because my ex was a sneaky lunatic, but she's the type who would have told me that it was all off and that there was no need to go to the hearing -- and then shown up herself and asked for a default judgment.

Better to handle it with the appropriate legal motions.
Just when I'm ready to write you off, you try making sense!!! Now, get me completely on your side and tell everyone that the sneaky lunatic will most likey WIN in court!!!

mistoffolees

Just when I'm ready to write you off, you try making sense!!! Now, get me completely on your side and tell everyone that the sneaky lunatic will most likey WIN in court!!!
IF the lunatic is the only one who shows up for the hearing, they're going to win. You see, the system awards a victory to the plaintiff if they are unopposed. Sorry, but that's the way it works.

Whether you want it to work that way or not is irrelevant.

tuffbrk

OP - have your attorney check for the court date. If your spouse had filed a withdrawal, you would have already received a copy of it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">