• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life estate grant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

buckspc

A few years ago my mom and dad placed my brothers name on there home, at the time they owed about 5,000 on it. My brother then made the payments until it was paid off. Now my parents are in a nursing home and there was a life estate grant that is in force. In the mean time my brother who now owned the house has died of cancer and his wife, my sister in law is legal owner of the house. There are 4 children all together and the sister in law wants the house to sell and get the money for herself. The life grant states that as long as either parent are alive that they can't ever be charged rent or be put out of the house. Sister in law claims that since they no longer are living there that that negates the life estate grant, at least thats what her lawyer says. Parents have no assets except for the house which they gave away, another strange thing that no one can figure out why they would give away there assets while still alive to a son who was dying of cancer.

Now we are trying to get them on medicaid but so far haven't gotten on. If sister in law takes over the house and sells it then if my parents can't get on medicaid and have to come back home there will be no home for them to go to.

We live in California and can't figure why parents would give there house to a sister in law who could care less about them when there are 3 other healthy children. Any way she says to have all the belongings out of the house by the end of the week as she will take over and have the locks changed. Any one know what the 3 living children can do. We have a lawyer who says they can't take control but it looks like its going to happen. Letters have been going back and forth but she is still going to take possesion this coming week. Her name is on the deed but what about the life estate grant? We need help or advice or a idea as to what to do. We have had a lawyer on this for over a year and now its coming to a head. TIA, Buck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">