• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the Respondent file for Default?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redhotpenguin

What is the name of your state? CA

The Petition was filed April 2007 & served on Respondent April 26, 2007. This is an uncontesed divorce, no children or property. Since then, only a "Reassignment" has been filed and that was Dec. 31, 2007.

Question 1: What is a Reassignment?
Question 2: Can the Respondent file the remaining papers to finalize the divorce?
Question 3: If yes, what is necessary? Is it just the Default?

Thanks,

Tricia

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state? CA

The Petition was filed April 2007 & served on Respondent April 26, 2007. This is an uncontesed divorce, no children or property. Since then, only a "Reassignment" has been filed and that was Dec. 31, 2007.

Question 1: What is a Reassignment?
Depends on how they are using the term.... what exactly was reassigned?
Question 2: Can the Respondent file the remaining papers to finalize the divorce?
Yes. If the petitioner is not moving the case, then the respondent can do the work.
Question 3: If yes, what is necessary? Is it just the Default?
Depends on where you are in the process and since you haven't said, no one can tell you what the next step is because no one knows what steps have been taken already. However, the respondent cannot file a default.

redhotpenguin

This should answer some of the questions you asked..This is from the Solano County web site:

DOCKET REPORT RESULTS
02-APR-2007
PETITION FOR DISSO.
SUMMONS ISSUED
ORIGINAL SUMMONS FILED

26-APR-2007
PROOF OF PERSONAL SERVICE: PETITION; SUMMONS; BLK RESPONSE DATE OF SERVICE:4-26-07 MANNER OF SERVICE:pERSONAL

31-DEC-2007
NOTICE OF REASSIGNMENT
DOCUMENT SERVED:NTRA DATE OF SERVICE:12-31-07 MANNER OF SERVICE:MAIL

Additionally, the Petitioner refuses to answer or return any attempt at communication now so if Repsondent cannot file for Default, then how can they get the divorce finalized?

Thanks.

CourtClerk

Edited:

Wait... if this is the complete docket summary (and I am assuming you are the respondent), have you ever ANSWERED the petition? If the petitioner never files for default, and you don't answer, there is no where for you to go. You must ANSWER the petition, then you can :
File the Request for Trial Setting.

There is no reason for you to communicate with the petitioner.

As for reassignment, my best guess without looking at the file is that the case may have been assigned to another judge in the courthouse. Of course, that's only a guess because docket summaries don't tell a story at all. However, nothing is stopping you from pulling a copy of the file and looking.

Last edited:

redhotpenguin

Can the Respondent file for default?

Yes, that is the complete docket summary. I'm not the Respondent, I'm asking for a friend of mine but no, he had not filed the Response..which we just found out yesterday.. You are right about the reassignment and I got that same answer from the Court Clerk yesterday.
He is going to file his Response this week but the Petitioner says she no longer lives at the address on her Petition so how can she be served a copy of his response?

Thanks for your help..

tuffbrk

Send her mail at the prior address with a return receipt requested - if the PO is forwarding her mail to another address you'll receive it.

redhotpenguin

tuffbrk-- thank you..I will let him know.

CourtClerk--I'm asking the questions he wanted me to...Since he drives for a living, he doesn't have internet access, nor can he make calls, while he's working. But I appreciate your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">