• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anullment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

proven1

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I recently started divorce proceedings. Which will soon be final. My questions are:

Can a divorce be changed to anullment by the court.

I was "legally" married for 3 yrs, but seperated for 1 1/2 of that. The reason was a result of two things I found out.

My wife lied about her religious affiliation. Which she later posted online and I can easily prove, my lawyer advised me to make copies and I did.

This woman also concealed a mental illness from me until several weeks after our "marriage".

Although a divorce is good enough for me... in order for a future marriage to be validated by the church an anullment would be in order...

Do I have grounds for an anullment?

Thanks,

Proven1

Last edited:

mistoffolees

Although a divorce is good enough for me... in order for a future marriage to be validated by the church an anullment would be in order...
You're confusing a legal and a church annulment.

Legally, I'm not sure you have grounds for an annulment - and as several people regularly point out, an annulment is more expensive and time-consuming than a divorce, anyway. So go ahead with the legal divorce.

The church then has its own process where you get an annulment through the church (I assume you're referring to the Catholic church, but other churches are probably similar). After you have your divorce, you file for annulment with the church. If it is the Catholic church, you certainly have grounds (although, IMHO, you don't really need grounds - they hand out annulments like candy).

mistoffolees

OP can file for an anulment with the church at any time.
Right. But my point was that this does not take the place of a legal divorce. OP needs to get a legal divorce and a church annulment. You are correct, though, that it can be in either order. The divorce does not HAVE to come first (although it usually does).

tuffbrk

Absolutely correct that a church annulment is not the equivalent of a legal divorce!

Then again, what a shame - sure as heck is easier!

mistoffolees

Yes, very EXPENSIVE candy ;)
Not really. My ex got a church annulment for $25 plus a one hour meeting with the priest. It's absolutely no big deal - in my view it's rather hypocritical for them to claim that they will not honor divorces because marriage is 'until death do you part' and then they give out annulments to anyone who asks for them.

Then there's the issue of twisting logic so that the marriage never occurred (annulment), yet the children are legitimate.

Sorry, it's a sore subject for me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">