• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex threatening to sue in Small Claims Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryokochii

Colorado

I have an ex in Alaska, that while we were dating had installed a subwoofer into my vehicle. To my knowledge this was a gift and he never once said anything to suggest otherwise. A couple months after splitting and going our separate ways, now in Colorado, he has been sending me text messages and emails regarding the subwoofer. Quite frankly, I've ignored them. Mostly because I counted my losses and moved on.

With money he owed me with promises of paying it back while we were together, certain items left in his household after the breakup, and gifts that I had bought him (seeing as how the subwoofer had been a gift to me) he would owe me along the range of $600. I never once bothered him about these things after the breakup. The emotional turmoil it had caused me was enough to just simply want nothing to do with him again. Yet his messages continue to harass and patronize me, claiming he had been honorable by returning a few of my things he had no use for. I blocked him from emailing me. However, shortly after, I received text messages (which I cannot block) that he will be taking me to small claims court for the subwoofer at a cost of $238. Feeling that this is ridiculous, I finally sent him a reply stating that if he continues to contact me I will report him for harassment. He replied with a definite that he will take this issue to court.

What I'd like to know is, what are my rights in this case? Also, what steps can I take? I'm curious as to whether he can even file such a claim being in Alaska and I being in Colorado. How would this work out? Any answers and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

ryokochii

Thank you for the response. I had a feeling I shouldn't. I just needed to hear from someone who would have a far wider wealth of knowledge on the legal side of this than myself. Thank you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">