• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lestelle915

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have been sued by a telephone company for an amount that almost half of which are fees associated with having my cell phones turned off early due to my divorce and therefore not able to pay the bill. I understand that I will problably have no choice but to pay this amount however I wondered if this is something that I should retain an attorney for (the amount is around $930) since they are also asking for attorney fees, interest and court costs. Also, now that I have been "served", what do I do next?

dcatz

Also, now that I have been "served", what do I do next?

You go to court and they take a judgment. It would be preferable if you could deal with them in advance, get a payment arrangement for installments over time and avoid court and a judgment. For a tel-com, you're one of many, many. They don't want to go to court; they just want to get paid. Try to work something out.

I wondered if this is something that I should retain an attorney for (the amount is around $930) since they are also asking for attorney fees, interest and court costs.

Their contract undoubtedly entitles them to all. You might avoid some of the total, if you all avoid going to court. Whether you can or can't, if you have no defense and are fated to lose, there is no point in paying an attorney to do it for you. Offer the amount that you might spend on an attorney (if you could get one for less than the whole bill, and I doubt that) to the claimant. It will go a long way to smoothing negotiations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">